18 Mar Lunch and Learn Session: Understanding the Power of LinkedIn with Lora Poepping
Despite all the challenges March is throwing our region and around the world, we must adapt and continue to thrive in work and life however possible. At RedCloud, we believe in the power of shared wisdom, and our Lunch and Learns are a great way for us to come together and increase our knowledge as a team.
Using Microsoft Teams, we were able to move our typical Lunch and Learn session online. We were grateful our host Lora Poepping offered to present remotely, and our team was able to explore the business value of LinkedIn while staying safe and healthy.
Lora Poepping is a former corporate recruiter and worked for Microsoft, Deloitte, and PwC, where she reviewed thousands of candidates on LinkedIn. Today, Lora is the founder and president of Plum Coaching & HR Consulting, and has 10 years of workshop experience in this area.
Although most of us have LinkedIn accounts, not everyone may know the real power of optimizing LinkedIn for business, and as we learned, it can make a world of difference. We felt privileged to have Lora speak with our team about LinkedIn and share her expertise. Here’s what she taught us in a nutshell:
- Having a profile matters. LinkedIn is a branding page for you and your business. It’s also a validation tool for employers– Not only do people share their experience on their profile, their employers and colleagues can confirm it with recommendations and by endorsing skills.
- Polish it up. Profile details will lead to a more valuable and impactful professional profile. Keep the details brief and stick to your “rockstar” experience rather than listing everything you’ve done throughout your entire career.
- Keep your profile updated. Update it regularly so that your experience levels and titles held never falls behind.
- Use the platform to your advantage. Lora taught us how to seek out information on current or prospective clients. Everyone can find just about anyone on LinkedIn, and with over 575 million users, use it to your advantage! Not surprisingly, lead generation through this social platform is 277% more effective than Facebook and Twitter.
- Hidden tools. We learned about what LinkedIn offers, and won’t spill all of Lora’s secrets, but here’s another hint: Use numerals, names and symbols in your summary to make it more eye-catching overall.
- Stay active on the platform. Show your expertise in your area by commenting on industry articles and writing your own.
We want to extend a big thanks to Lora for being flexible and giving us so much valuable information. We will carry this with us all year and beyond 2020!
More about Lora: Plum’s coaches (also former recruiters) have provided career and job search guidance to clients around the world. Plum also provides HR expertise to clients in the Puget Sound area. Lora is mother to two amazing daughters (no bias there) who have successfully launched their own careers with Kendra Scott and Salesforce. Aside from her role as entrepreneur and business leader, Lora enjoys archery, Orange Theory, the Seahawks, and boating. She lives in Seattle with her husband Scott and their blind, deaf Wheaten Terrier, Emma.